Friday, May 20, 2011

EARLOBES, EARLOBES, REAL GREAT!

On February 20 my sweet dad passed away - 3 months ago today.  He was diagnosed with cancer the first week of January, and fought so hard for 51 days.  Our family made a promise to each other when we found out that my dad was sick that we would fight and win, and yet we were fighting against an unfair, cheating opponent. In the last few weeks of his life, with another round of chemo looming,  my dad took time to talk with each of his children, asking us what we thought he should do.  The first and only round of chemo didn't seem to work at all, and the cancer was like a snowball, getting bigger and more out of control as it spread.  My dad was so willing to go through another round and all the sickness that comes with it to make sure that none of us thought he was giving up, but the doctor wouldn't let him - his body couldn't handle it. He fought until the end and gave it everything he had and more.  When the hospice nurse came, I told her that my dad was a fighter, and she said "there is no doubt about that, look at him." (he was bright yellow from his liver not working for so long).  Thank you dad for showing us how to fight.

I was able to spend quite a bit of time up at his house the last four weeks of his life, and that is precious time I will ALWAYS treasure.  During that time he expressed to me and my family the way he feels about us, and I hope I was able to let him know how much I love him.

Three months have gone by, and yet it seems like I haven't been able to see him in so long.  It is crazy to me how I miss him every day.  So many things remind me of him and make me wish he was here with us.  His little song "earlobes, earlobes, real great, I love earlobes, can't wait" has been going through my head all day, and even though it makes me so sad, I have to smile at the funny little things he said and did.  I miss my dad...

Sweet Dad...I love you.  I miss you.  I wish so much you were here.

Love,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment